6 September 2011

Inspiration at the Cinema

Kung Fu Panda 2
I love animation, taking every opportunity to go and see the latest offering at the cinema. There I've admitted it. For me it's not about going to see a cartoon (it does have to have a good story, though - I still like to think of myself as somewhat discerning), it's about the visual feast that film makers are offering now-a-days.

Avatar
I recently saw Kung Fu Panda 2 and although it was entertaining, I am in awe of the work that must have gone into the cityscapes in the background of the storytelling. They were so intricate, unbelievably well research and quite simply stunning to look at. I walked away inspired. The use of colours alone had me wanting to clear everything off my palette and start again with new shades.

The Fountain, this still is a stunning painting all by itself
Although not classed as cartoons, so many films now use animation but they tend to call it computer graphics or special effects. Going back a number of years, Avatar had the same effect on me. The story was OK, but visually, by the end I was completely full up. It's an amazing feeling to have my need for seeing detailed art, beautiful, thoughful design and an artist's imagination put to such strong use.

It is a need. I frequently feel artistically rejuvenated (although mentally squashed if the story isn't that great) after watching films such as The Fountain, Pan's Labyrinth and Inception. My list could go on and on. And on.

For me, inspiration is not just through galleries, the landscape around me or through books of the great artists' works, it's at the cinema too.

No comments:

Post a Comment