15 March 2011

Merchandising My Work

Out to Sea signed greetings card
The decision to sell more than just my paintings was the right thing for me to do.

I had been exhibiting at an art festival, where I was standing selling my own work, and realised if people didn't want, or couldn't afford, to buy a painting, even if they liked my work, they were leaving empty handed.  Being present at the sale of my work, I also realised that as well as those willing to pay for an original, my paintings appealed to those who preferred to pay for prints.

I spent the following year resourcing companies that printed photos of my work, companies that sold blank greetings cards, and the necessary paraphernalia, and companies who cut mounts to my specified size.



I then went armed to the arts festival with original paintings, greetings cards and mounted A5 prints.  It was the right move, and I ended up financially doing considerably better than the year before.

Now I have lots of different products and have to constantly come up with new ways of selling them, but that's for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment