12 December 2010

Rannoch Moor Sketching

Rannoch Moor is my favourite place in the world.

Quite a while back (as you may be able to tell from the painting - I like to think I have improved since then) I was sketching there on a particularly dull day. Kate Bush's The Kick Inside was my album of choice; and I make no apologies for the music I listen to when I work.
I had a large A2 sketchbook with me and my usual supplies, a jar of water, sable brushes ranging in size, watercolours, water soluble felt pen (black), pencils and my camera.

I did a few not so great drawings and watercolours, but the star of that day was the sky. It had been a nothing grey when the clouds thinned and suddenly more and more sunbeams broke through, highlighting everything they hit. Then the clouds, now outlined in silver light, split to show bright blue cloudless sky before closing up as if nothing had happened.

It happened too quickly for me to draw the moment, but I managed to get my camera out on time. Thank heavens for photography.

These photos lead to a number of paintings. It's amazing how a few seconds in nature can lead to inspiration that lasts years.

Above: Sunshine on Rannoch Moor (www.tracybutler.co.uk)

1 comment:

  1. Hi sweetie,

    Just dropping by to thank you so much for the lovely review you left me on linkreferral - your work is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete